National Partners and Collaborators
The National Initiative is led by Americans for the Arts in cooperation with multiple national arts, health and veterans service organizations, private sector, military and government agencies.
Americans for the Arts on behalf of the National Initiative engages in formal partnerships and collaborations, including maintaining Memorandums of Understanding with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - National Veterans Creative Arts Festival, and the VA Office of Patient Centered Care and Cultural Transformation to implement programming and advance the goals of the Initiative on behalf of America's veterans. Americans for the Arts' Statement of Collaboration with the American Legion Auxiliary furthers the shared purpose of promoting the use of the arts in the lives of U.S. Veterans, servicemembers, their families and caregivers. Americans for the Arts is an official AmeriCorps VISTA site of the American Legion Auxiliary Call to Service Corps.
Through these kinds of strategic engagement, we work collectively and across sectors to:
- Encourage further cooperation within arts, military, veterans and health fields;
- Enhance communication between beneficiaries and providers;
- Promote greater visibility of the importance of the arts to health and well-being across the military continuum, and;
- Engage with leaders across agencies and sectors in the development of policies and practicesthat support Initiative goals.
Americans for the Arts leads the National Initiative for Arts & Health in the Military, with a National Steering Committee comprised of federal agency, military, nonprofit, and private sector partners. Below is a list of current National Steering Committee participants:
Americans for the Arts
Association of Performing Arts Presenters
Creative Healing Connections
Foundation for Art & Healing
National Center for Creative Aging
- National Endowment for the Arts
Vet Art Project
VSA, an affiliate of the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts
- Walter Reed National Military Medical Center